I am a cancer survivor
I have 1 eternal companion
1 daughter
3 sons.
my fair share of challenges
I am human

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday Movie Marathon:

Hello! This is Scott, and I get to guest-blog tonight. I wanted to tell you all about an enjoyable family day spent on Saturday. The morning was for chores, as it usually is on a Saturday. Melissa and I felt rather stressed out recently though, and we thought to find a way to enjoy ourselves and try to relax.

We thought of more than a few methods to have fun, but kept rejecting them because of the weather. Melissa wanted to go out with Noah, since he's been behaving better lately, but the snow was flying hard. We thought about watching a movie, but thought better of that too. We then hit on a solution... get a bit of candy and popcorn for the kids and have a movie marathon.

While I do miss the fact that the children aren't younger sometimes, it was nice that the two older ones were interested in the movies that we decided on. We ended up having a Hayao Miyazaki marathon. We have a few of the movies around the house, including "My Neighbor Totoro", "Kiki's Delivery Service", and the two movies we watched: "Spirited Away" and "Howl's Moving Castle".

All three kids were interested in the first film, "Spirited Away". It's amazing, because if there is one complaint that I may have about it, it's long... over two hours. But the only possible reason I'd complain about the length is if I have a child with a short attention span, and all three kids managed to not only sit through it but to enjoy it quite a bit! I hadn't had a chance to watch it yet, and I was absolutely enthralled by it. While there are a few scenes that can be graphic, overall I quite liked it.

After a short break of dinner and shoveling snow, the second film was "Howl's Moving Castle". Nicholas was the one that wasn't quite able to sit through the second film, but the older two children both stayed still and stayed awake. All in all, we spent over four hours watching movies. The kids were more than happy to tell me their favorite characters... Noah enjoyed the turnip-headed scarecrow and the old witch from "Howl", while Rainey also enjoyed the scarecrow and the huffy dog.

All in all, I think that I will remember the movie marathon too. Not only were the movies enjoyable and memorable, watching the movies with my children and wife made them even more enjoyable!

2 comments:

mechan said...

I enjoyed being able to sit down and relax finally. I also enjoyed putting my feet up for the day and not worry about a messy house. I have been doing deep cleaning all week. My goal this year it to get my house in order and everything unpacked. I enjoyed the lessons learned in the movies.

That Girl said...

Sounds like fun! I think we might have to plan a movie marathon in the near future ...