I am a cancer survivor
I have 1 eternal companion
1 daughter
3 sons.
my fair share of challenges
I am human

Monday, September 15, 2008

kids and school

Noah is one short day of getting suspended he has no respect for the teacher and he is getting his friend in trouble also by his mis behavior . He is playing in the sink in the classroom throwing water everywhere spitting everywhere and blowing in kids faces he is cutting up everything but what he is told to do he is even peeing on the bathroom floor in his classroom . throwing his pencil in anger not doing his work

Lorraine is doing fine it is the teacher we don't care fore. Rainey is a smart girl who is getting bored awfully fast the teacher gives them worksheets count how many in the row and color that many
plus you are graded on coloring she is in first grade she gets marked down if she is out of the lines or if there is a little white spot left or if she doesn't color in the same direction . i am 28 and i still have a hard time coloring in the lines or not leaving white spaces since when do they grade coloring
give me a first grader that has perfect coloring
I don't know what to do i am at my wits end

1 comment:

The Amayesings said...

I'm am FAR from perfect, and I don't really know exactly all the details of the problems you're experiencing or where they stem from, so the following is just based on my own experiences. The examples or advise may not apply directly to you and your boy, but I hope some of it gives you ideas about how to help him.

You and the teacher may have to team up with someone like the school counselor to come up with a plan to help him learn to behave more appropriately. Jake went to a small group that, through play and other activities, was taught about appropriate social behavior and it seemed to really help him. I asked the school counselor about it and she was more than happy to include him in her group. I do find as a parent, that I have to do the work---don't expect the teacher to always initiate things. She's got 20+ other kids she's working on at the same time, but she SHOULD be willing to meet with you and work to help your son.

As a special education director I used to mentor reg. ed. teachers on behavioral issues. Some of the basic things I would recommend and help the teachers establish in their rooms are: Clear and easy-to-understand rules (eg: "Stay in your seat"), clear and consistent consequences (positive for having behaved correctly and of course negative for incorrect choices)which are given IMMEDIATELY after the "target" behavior (praise for correct behavior, consequence as explained for incorrect behavior), notes/calls/emails home each day so you can also reinforce what the teacher is doing in the classroom.

Lastly, I cannot say enough about FAIR, PRIVATE discipline. When kids need to be corrected, it's always better to do it privately and in a way where the child does not feel attacked. Rather than call a child "bad" (eg: You are being a bad boy!), say that the behavior is not OK (eg: Poking your neighbor is not ok. Please keep your hands to yourself.) And if the rules are followed CONSISTENTLY the kids always know what to expect if they need to be corrected and will accept it more readily.

I hope a little of that or all of it helps. Lots of it is just common sense, but I know I forget common sense in the heat of the moment!!! Good luck.

There's a lot more to it than what I just listed, but that's the jist of it.

At home, I do not do things like I do in the classroom (I SHOULD, but I get lazy). HOWEVER, when I am clear about my expectations, state them in simple terms, and follow through CONSISTENTLY, life for me is so much easier. The behavior doesn't become perfect, but it is easier to deal with the kiddos. ALL kids do better with structure and routine, especially where behavioral expectations and consequences are concerned.